Problem two: too many businesses get caught up in the day-to-day and never get around to formulating a strategy.
Problem one (the big one): implementation of any strategy gets delayed, postponed or forgotten about.
Here’s a solution.
Six Days to a Dynamic Growth Strategy*
On the 7th day we rest, because we’ve moved with incredible speed
- Day 1—We determine the big-picture objectives, metrics and opportunities.
- Day 2—The management team reaches consensus and prioritizes goals, roles and the timeline.
- Day 3—Critical issues that could bushwhack us and how we address them; vital issues that are opportunities and how we exploit them; handling the unexpected.
- Day 4—Driving forces; the people, processes, systems needed and rewards.
- Day 5—Tentative alternatives; how do we determine when to adjust or expand?
- Day 6—Tactics to implementation; the who, what, where, when, why and how.
* These are no necessarily full business days. It depends on the company’s size, complexity, goals and team.